IF you are having dificulties getting your AR8000 running, there are several reasons why you may be having problems communicating with your AR8000 radio from Scancat-Gold.
These instructions were created when we only had a DOS version of SCANCAT-GOLD However the basic principles are the same for our new Scancat-Gold for Windows version as well.
1. The interface
A. First we must know WHICH interface you are using. If it is the OPTOLINX, the dip switches must be set so that #1 is UP and 2-3-4 are all down.
B. Be sure the ribbon cable is inserted into the OPTOLINX contact side UP, and into the radio contact side DOWN
C. If you are using the EDCO AR8000INF the contact side of the ribbon inserted INTO the radio is DOWN
D. If you are using OUR interface OR an interface that uses a 3 wire stereo cable make sure the plugs are inserted tightly into both the interface AND adaptor, AND the adaptor (thin pc board type) is plugged into the radio SOLID, (you can feel it 'grab' as you push it in) not LOOSE as though it can fall out.
2. Wrong COMM PORT selected. (MAIN reason for problems) MOST computer Comm Ports are not marked (at all) Scancat DOS only supports comm ONE and TWO (not 3 or 4)
3. READ PAGE 67 IN THE SCANCAT DOS MANUAL ABOUT SETTING THE RADIO TO 'EXPERT' MODE AND REMOVING THE 'LF' FROM THE 'DELI' SETTING. (THIS is the MOST common reason for the SOFTWARE not operating properly)
Try THIS for a TEST
1. Go to main menu of SCANCAT-GOLD
---->IF "remote" is flashing press the "local" key on radio.
A. Choose Scanning Module selections
B. then Pick <2> Between RANGE of two frequencies
C. Enter 453.0 MHZ for first (range selection)
D. Enter 454.0 for Upper
E. Enter .025 (increment)
F. Choose FM-Narrow by pressing <5>
G. Press Enter or Click OK. IF the radio and interface are connected properly AND the comm port is properly selected (only 1 or 2 available for our DOS version and comm 1-2-3 or 4 for the Windows) then, the REMOTE on the radio should start alternating, AND the frequency on the radio should 'track' the one on the computer screen (top middle of screen)
* The radio should scan 'freely' and only stop when the squelch 'breaks' (of if you open the squelch so that noise is present).
* IF the radio does not scan, check your connections, and ALSO make sure you have set the "DELI CR" as described on page 67 of our manual.
* IF the 'REMOTE' does not start flashing, then you need to make sure the comm port is set correctly.
MOST PROBLEMS WITH 'START UPS' ARE BECAUSE THE WRONG COMM PORT IS CHOSEN. Go to the main menu, press
and try a different one and go back and do process as outlined above until you find correct comm port setting.
(OR you can use Radio Shack's 276-1401 RS232 Mini Tester)
NOTE: until you can get radio to scan freely and only stop on active frequencies, you cannot READ or MODIFY the EEPROM. So use the above test until it works. THEN do other functions. If you are still having problems, call us at 318-687-2555 9am to 2pm Central time for further assistance.
Thanks for your support
Also....visit the other areas of our Web Page or download Product Demos.